The NYPD Times Square Substation, a facility of approximately 1,000 square feet, is a part of the NYPD’s Midtown South or 14th Precinct. It functions as a vital system and information hub from which the Police Department can monitor activity and engage the public, in the busiest location in New York, if not the world.
Located in the heart of New York City, the NYPD Times Square Sub-Station is the focal point of the department’s security and enforcement efforts in the area. The goal was to redesign the space with the intent to increase the NYPD’s visibility and interaction with the public. We managed the complete design and construction of the renovation, including:
- Overseeing the design team from concept to construction documents, to completion.
- Overseeing and managing all construction activities performed by the NYPD general contractor.
- Stripping existing structure to frame and foundation.
- Retrofitting the building with new mechanical, plumbing, and electrical systems.
- Sourcing and installing high tech systems that projected imagery on the perimeter glass.
- Sourcing and installing level 8 ballistic rated glazing and wall panels.
Challenge: Highly Visible Location with Unusually High Pedestrian Traffic
- High pedestrian and vehicular traffic, adjacent construction projects and a subway station.
- A small work area footprint resulting in a minimal staging area to work within.
- Originally built in the 1950s, many of the building’s systems were no longer functioning.
- The structure is located directly over an active subway station, tunnel, and tracks.
- Multiple entities involved: NYPD, MTA, DOT, PDC, Times Square Alliance, adjacent projects.
Solution: The Right Professionals in the Right Roles
- Retained specialized design professionals and managed their workflow directly.
- Prepared a logistics plan to satisfy the specific requirements of all agencies involved.
- Retained expediting consultants to secure permits and approvals on time.
- Built a schedule around the moratoriums placed on government agency projects during holidays.
- Hired a structural engineer dedicated to the specifics of loading on the MTA subway below to ensure the subway system would not be impacted.
Result: A Highly Visible, Visitor Friendly, High-Tech Facility, at the “Crossroads of the World”
We were present and active in every step of the process from pre-planning through execution, providing solutions to the types of complex issues that arise on highly visible projects such as this one. Through pre-planning and foresight, neither the subway system nor the adjacent buildings were disrupted.
“The NYPD’s vastly-improved Times Square Substation enhances our ability to connect with New Yorkers and the millions of visitors to our great city each year.” – Police Commissioner James P. O’Neill